Category Archives: Immigration

What is the California Dream Act?

The California Dream Act was put in place by California state legislation in an effort to allow AB540 students to apply for financial aid in public colleges and universities of California. In other words, the act was put in place to allow undocumented students to obtain financial aid from a public educational institution. This will help young men and women across the state further their education. Since AB540 was passed in 2001, other bills have been passed that assist undocumented students in gaining financial aid. The California Dream Act, and the bills that have been passed along with it, have made an impact on many, many lives.

What Bills go Along With the California Dream Act?

AB 540

AB 540 is a bill that was passed in 2001. The bill was put into place by Assembly Member Marco Antonio Firebaugh. AB 540 allows undocumented students to be exempt from paying out-of-state tuition at public colleges and universities in California. This bill has allowed undocumented students from around the world to attend college for a reasonable price.

In order to be eligible for AB 540 consideration, the student must meet the following requirements:

  • Be enrolled in a California high school for three or more years
  • Graduate from a California high school or receive the equivalent degree (GED)
  • Submit a written promise to the public college or university where they currently or plan to attend. The statement must include that they meet all of the requirements and that they are taking steps to becoming a legitimate citizen.

AB 130

AB 130 was passed in 2012. The bill allows eligible AB 540 students to receive institutional aid, like scholarships, from a public college or university of California. The aid that is granted must be derived from non-state funds.

AB 131

AB 131 was passed in 2013. This bill allows eligible AB 540 students to receive financial aid while attending a public college or university in California. The aid for AB 131 is allowed to be partially derived from state funds. Undocumented students can access AB 131 funds by either applying for scholarships through the public college or university and/or apply for financial aid from the state. When applying for financial aid through the state, the California Student Aid Commission has set up forms, similar to FASFA, to determine the financial need of the student.

You can apply here: Application for Califonia Dream Act.

Comments Off on What is the California Dream Act?

Filed under Immigration